[PLUG] Re: UPS Automatic Shut-down

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Jan 13 03:01:04 UTC 2005

On 2005-01-12, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    I know that apc makes a utility to shut-down systems when the power goes
> out, and there's at least one other utility to do the same thing.
>
>    If folks are using these I'd appreciate any hints or gotcha's before I set
> up the system here. The UPS-HOWTO is not very helpful.

I recomment NUT: http://us1.networkupstools.org/

Unlike the free APC PowerChute (I don't know about apcupsd; APC does make
expensive editions that are network-aware), it operates in client/server mode,
so the monitoring host can inform other hosts of the power outage and they,
too, will shutdown.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *