[PLUG] Re: Tape Drives and Power Supplies

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Jan 13 07:47:21 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

Russell> Update.  [...]

Tonight I had the first successful (i.e. the machine didn't power off)
tape backup since the hard disk installation.  The current differences
from the last unsuccessful attempt:

  a) new motherboard BIOS;

  b) currently running the box off a different (300W) power supply;

  c) currently using a different tape drive (same model) and terminator;

  d) using a brand-spanking-new fresh-out-of-the-shrink-wrap tape
     cartridge;

  e) have just run a cleaning cartridge.

I'll try reverting (b) and (c) one at a time until I get another
failure (or don't).  I can't revert the BIOS as Intel doesn't
distribute old BIOS (and I don't really want to anyway).  I
particularly would like to get my tape drive back.

seniorr at aracnet.com