[PLUG] "server" quality components

Randall Lucas rlucas at tercent.com
Thu Jan 13 18:45:28 UTC 2005

> What do you get in a "server" mobo or NIC anyway that you don't
 > get in the cheep stuff?

For one, you don't get "floor sweeps."  Literally, the pieces in the
"free after rebate" NICs you get at Fry's may have been swept off the
floor of a factory.

Another example is that with HP (Compaq) servers, you get ILO
(integrated lights-out), which provides remote console access and remote
power-off via a separate on-board NIC.

Another benefit (this more with a "system" than an individual board) is
the availability of *exactly* the same part, by part number, be it from
the manufacturer or off eBay -- not a putatively "compatible" part for
replacement.  Also, others have likely tested your OS on *exactly* that
same hardware -- no combinatorical nightmares with varying chipsets, etc.

With a complete server system, furthermore, you're getting something
that's engineered, not just assembled.  Someone took the time to map the
airflow through the case, measure the power demands of the RAID array,
etc., not just plug things together until it boots OK.

Look at the resellers on eBay who sell new or refurb stuff that's still
under warranty from IBM, HP, Dell (caveat lector, Dell has had in the
past a mixed reputation on servers, including using the same model
number for different grab-bags of parts).  Check 2 "speed increments"
down from the blistering fastest new stuff, and you can fly
business-class for nearly coach-price.

I hate to sound like a server sales rep, but I've had multiple white box
clone PSUs and RAM sticks fail over many years, but I'm still waiting
(with a box of factory-supplied backups) for any of the server-grade
stuff to fail.

Best,

Randall

--
Randall Lucas			DF93EAD1
Tercent, Inc / SuperSurvey Online Surveys