[PLUG] Kernel upgrade

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 05:00:57 UTC 2005

I presently use Sarge, whose default kernel is 2.4.27,
but since I would like to try my hand at UDF packet
writing, I wanted to install one of the latest
kernels. I downloaded 2.6.9 kernel sources from
kernel.org and configured them in my home directory.

Upon booting the new kernel, it looked just like the
other one. Or so I thought. The digital camera didn't
work, and I noted that there was no support for
CONFIG_USB_UHCI or CONFIG_USB_OHCI in my .config, and
that's probably why. So now I want to rebuild the
kernel with just those changes (for now).

Do you have to put a dash in the "extraversion"
variable in the Makefile in order for it to appear in
the kernel version? In other words, if you put just
"A" after =, would it appear as 2.6.9A or 2.6.9-A?

According to one source, it is "necessary" to add such
a line as this to fstab when using a 2.6 kernel:

none  /sys   sysfs   defaults  0   0

I have /sys, but not the new line in fstab. I am
thinking about keeping a 2.4 kernel in /boot, just in
case a worthwhile program still needs it. Would a 2.4
kernel still boot properly if that line were added to
fstab?

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/