[PLUG] memtest86 interpretation

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 16 12:17:26 UTC 2005

Someone hates me.

Back in December, I built an NFS server with four 80gig IDE drives, a
gig of RAM and a 2.53 GHz P4 on an Intel D845GBV motherboard.  Two
days ago, after working flawlessly for a month, it oops'd and locked
up.  I didn't notice it right away because I haven't moved anything
crucial to it yet.

I rebooted and it came back up fine.  A few hours later it crashed
again.  I decided to maybe try building a new kernel, however while
doing so I got classic random gcc errors.  When I'd rerun "make" it
would carry on over the same places it had seen errors.  Started
looking like maybe memory errors.  So, I downloaded memtest86 3.2 and
ran it.  Found errors.  There are two memory modules (crucial), and I
tried them one at a time in different slots and get errors on both of
them.  What are the chances two different parts failed at the same
time?

Tomorrow I plan to test the memory in a different motherboard and see
what I get there.  I could try the CPU too.

seniorr at aracnet.com