[PLUG] memtest86 interpretation

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Mon Jan 17 17:48:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-16 at 23:36 -0800, Galen Seitz wrote:
> If the problem follows the CPU, then it pretty much has to be the CPU.
> It's a bit odd that you are able to run any code at all.

It *is* odd, isn't it?

I had a similar thing happen to me some time back.  I had artifacts
appearing when I watched DVDs or AVIs on my old Duron 650.  They would
get pretty bad, but then drop off to nothing.  If I used VLC on the box,
they were there.  If I used VLS on it, then VLC on a different box, they
weren't there.

Sometimes (not always) mencoder-created files would have these
artifacts.  Sometimes they were clean.  Sometimes mencoder would seg
fault instead of encoding.

I figured it was the video chip on my motherboard, so I swapped
motherboards.  I was wrong.  Eventually I finally replaced the CPU...
and the problem magically disappeared.  I'd never heard of CPUs halfway
going out like that... it was an educational experience.  :-)

I loved that old Duron, though.. it was a good chip.

--
Rob                    |  If not safe,
  http://rob.axpr.net  |    one can never be free.