[PLUG] Interesting hardware problem

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Jan 21 03:55:16 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Alan" == Alan  <alan at clueserver.org> writes:

Alan> I need to build a small dmz device.  I prefer it being small and
Alan> cheap.  I may have to "just use an old PC for it.

Alan> What I need is a device that runs Linux and has three ethernet
Alan> ports.

Have you considered a Linksys WRT54G?  With OpenWRT (for example) you
can vlan each of the ethernet ports to a separate network.  You can
turn off the radio if you don't want/need it.  You won't be able to
connect your printer to it with USB or parallel, of course.

Also beware that the newest hardware versions break previously working
OpenWRT and similar because of some new components (e.g. new broadcom
ethernet device replaced an adm part).  See <http://openwrt.org/> for
details.

seniorr at aracnet.com