[PLUG] Interesting hardware problem

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Fri Jan 21 07:05:13 UTC 2005

>From: Alan <alan at clueserver.org>
> I need to build a small dmz device.  I prefer it being small and cheap.
> I may have to "just use an old PC for it.
>
> What I need is a device that runs Linux and has three ethernet ports.
>
> I have two networks that are separate, but they want to share a printer.
>
> What seems to be the only useful solution will be to build a small linux
> box with an iptables setup that will nat each network to a dmz network
> that has the printer.  (But not allow traffic between the two networks.)
>
> Anyone know of a small cheap piece of hardware that will do this or am I
> stuck with an old PC and three ethernet cards?

Seems an inelegant solution, but if the above is *all* that is required
then a WRT54G could do the job. Have the uplink/WAN port be on one
network, and the printer being part of the other. The printer does appear
on one of the two networks, but the above doesn't strictly disallow this.

I'm unsure whether it will beat the price of the already suggested
options, but a pair of WRT54Gs could be used and make a full DMZ network
for the printer.