[PLUG] Backing Up Multiple Machines

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jan 21 20:22:15 UTC 2005

Rich writes:

>    I want to confirm that if I want filesystems on a second workstation to be
> backed up on tape in a drive installed on another box, then the filesystems
> must be exported from the remote system and nfs-mounted on the system with
> the tape drive. Is this correct?

Of course, this very much depends on the tools you are using.  Rdump
will push data at a remote file, and the client process can be
initiated from a server by running a command with ssh.  It sounds
like you want to pull data with a server, in which case you will
indeed need to remote-mount the files on the server.

But those are all 1980's solutions;  expensive, slow, insecure,
inconvenient, inefficient, and a lot of other perjorative adjectives.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, look at dirvish
( www.dirvish.org ) or some other rsync-based disk-to-disk mechanism.
The savings in effort, cost, and time are spectacular, without even
getting into the security and indexing and ease-of-restore issues.

I gave a dirvish presentation at the PANUG meeting last night, and
like the presentations last year at PLUG and at LinuxFest, it was
well received.  I will be giving a similar presentation next Thursday
( 2005-01-27 ) evening at the Oregon IEEE Consultant's Network
meeting, http://www.eeconsult.org/members/presentation.html .  Public
meeting, all are welcome - if they can tolerate IHOP food.   I also
would be glad to head out to Gresham/Troutdale and present, if someone
provides a venue and an audience of a dozen or more.

Cast OUT those Satanic tape drives!  Be reborn in BITS EVERLASTING!
HEAL!  :-)

Keith