[PLUG] Automatic Slave updates for bind

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Fri Jan 21 20:51:14 UTC 2005

Josh Orchard wrote:
> Now say I want to
> add a new slave or have added new records to the master and want to
> tell the slave to add them as well.  The only way I've found so far is
> to go to the slave and add the record and then it will keep the
> updates in sync.  There doesn't seem to be a way to have the master
> tell the slave to add a new record.

Hi Josh,

Are you talking about adding new zones? I don't think there's a way to
have the master notify the slave about new zones that exist. The slave
will need to have the new zone set up in it's conf file. The master will
notify the slave about updates to zones the slave already knows about.

Of course I've been wrong before, if there is a way then I'm sure
someone here will know :)

I used to work at an ISP, and sometimes we ran into weird situations
where we wanted to get the slave to update immediately (like when
someone on our end had screwed up a record). In those cases we would use
the named-xfer command to manually slurp over the record. man named-xfer
for more info.