[PLUG] Automatic Slave updates for bind

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Fri Jan 21 21:20:16 UTC 2005

> Josh Orchard wrote:
>
>> Now say I want to
>> add a new slave or have added new records to the master and want to
>> tell the slave to add them as well.  The only way I've found so far
>> is to go to the slave and add the record and then it will keep the
>> updates in sync.  There doesn't seem to be a way to have the master
>>  tell the slave to add a new record.
>
> Hi Josh,
>

> Are you talking about adding new zones? I don't think there's a way
> to have the master notify the slave about new zones that exist. The
> slave will need to have the new zone set up in it's conf file. The
> master will notify the slave about updates to zones the slave already
> knows about.
>
> Of course I've been wrong before, if there is a way then I'm sure
> someone here will know :)
>
> I used to work at an ISP, and sometimes we ran into weird situations
> where we wanted to get the slave to update immediately (like when
> someone on our end had screwed up a record). In those cases we would
> use the named-xfer command to manually slurp over the record. man
> named-xfer for more info.
>

> Rich

Yes I would like to add new Zones.  I'd think that the slaves like a
caching DNS server would be able to take directions from a Master.
Then again there has always been cases in history when the slaves
revolt.  Maybe if I refer to them as clients then they would listen to
and obey my primary server. :-)

If this is truely the case then I'd be surprised as that would mean
everytime a new Zone is added each slave has to also be manually
updated.

I'll look into named-xfer and see what I find.

Thanks,

Josh