[PLUG] Apache Mod Q'

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jan 21 21:57:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> Quoth Paul Heinlein, on Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:11:33 -0800 (PST):
>
>> Within the VirtualHost entry for a.org (or in any relevant
>> .htaccess file), can't you just do a redirect?
>
> Well, no, I can't do a client-side redirect for a couple of reasons.
> First, I want b.net to appear as part of a.org, so I just need the
> munge those URLs correctly.  Second, b.net is not a real domain,
> just something I put into my server's hosts file, so that the
> virtual host will work.

In that case, I think mod_proxy (via mod_rewrite) is your only hope.

   # the first of these two is a workaround for IE
   RewriteRule  ^/foo/bar$       http://b.net/fubar/   [P]
   RewriteRule  ^/foo/bar/(.*)$  http://b.net/fubar/$1 [P]

That's the only solution I've ever been able to devise with the
problem set you describe.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>