[PLUG] On Going Unstable

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 22:24:48 UTC 2005

I added unstable sources to sources.list for my Sarge
installation and did a dist-upgrade. Nothing dramatic
happened, although KDE 3.3 is noticeably different
from 3.2 when it starts. All services are okay.

You don't get a new kernel? I may install a kernel
image package, since I have no unusual requirements.

My two enduring headaches are: I haven't been able to
set up Java. I was hoping it would be easier than it
turned out to be. Same for mplayer. The unofficial
package gives me signal 11 errors, and building it
from source is not an easy task.

I know Carla Schroder's book is at Powell's. If I have
time this weekend I'll drop by there and take a look
at it. Hopefully it has a large proportion of
Debian-specific information, since the book I have on
Fedora says a lot about shell programming, etc.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/