[PLUG] Re: Automatic Slave updates for bind

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Fri Jan 21 23:11:30 UTC 2005

> And yes, there's not way within BIND itself to create this slave
> configuration. I use rsync and some scripts manage the domains I host.
> My /etc/named.conf
> has 'include "master.conf"' or 'include "slave.conf"' depending on the
> host. I run a script that generates the master.conf and slave.conf
> from a list of zones on the master, than rsync all the files over to
> slave.  (In reality, mine's a tad messier because I'm using views.)
>

> Wil

Thanks Wil.  It still baffles me why anyone would not want the slaves
to get and receive a notification from a trusted master to add a zone
in the remote slaves.  This would save a lot of time.  So, what this
means is that I need to manually(or write a script) to create the new
Zone.  Sorry about the 'records' lingo use poor choice.

I would think that Bind would have thought about this and added the
creation call to the notification method in the master.  Sure would
save lots of time and would be really simple to achieve.  Or I would
think.

Josh