[PLUG] Apache Mod Q'

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Sat Jan 22 01:49:47 UTC 2005

> Quoth Josh Orchard, on Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:23:35 -0800 (PST):
>

>> I do this a lot with my computer.  I just use:
>>

>> ProxyPass /foo/bar/* http://b.net/fubar/*
>> ProxyPassReverse /foo/bar/* http://b.net/fubar/*
>>

> That may help, though according to apache.org, RewriteRule with "[P]"
> is more powerful than ProxyPass.  By the way, what's the "...Reverse"
> option for?
>
>> inside the virtual host for a.org.  You mentioned something about
>> not wanting to use mod_proxy but this works great for me.  Don't
>> know if it won't work because of some J2EE items you may be using
>> but I don't see why not.  I have used it for my J2EE servers as
>> well.
>
> As long as apache can munge the URL first and then forward on to the
> servlet container, it should work.  I guess the reason I didn't want
> to use mod_proxy is that I suppose it will incur a certain overhead,
> if it actually makes a new HTTP connection (which seems like what a
> mod_proxy would do).  I'd rather the process were more inline.
>
> --Jason

the ProxyPassReverse just allows all connections coming back to go
back to where they were requested from.  Yes, it may be another
connection. I never cared much to figure that all out as the solution
was fast, easy and not noticable on the server load I ran it.  If you
were talking a huge load then perhaps you do need to look into
rewrite.

Josh