[PLUG] Working Web proxie quit upon reboot

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 24 15:09:48 UTC 2005

   Yesterday I had to shut down my machines to install the new UPS. They
seemed to reboot cleanly and completely. However, I cannot get privoxy going
again and I cannot figure out why.

   I noticed that I had neglected to add rc.privoxy to rc.local, so I started
it manually this morning -- as root, of course. However, I cannot connect to
any Web page (internal or external) when the proxy is enabled (same
localhost address and port as before). When the proxy is disabled everything
works.

   I've looked at the docs and see nothing that might have changed just by
shutting down the system. '/etc/rc.d/rc.privoxy status' shows nothing at
all. No privoxy process shows up in the process list.

   If someone can suggest diagnostics -- or a cure -- I'd greatly appreciate
the clue.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)