[PLUG] Dovecot and Thunderbird revisited

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Jan 25 01:37:31 UTC 2005

Well I'm happy to say that between all the excellant suggestions I got
from this list and some serious re-reading I have postfix, procmail and
dovecot ( mostly ) playing nicely together.  Mail goes in and gets filed
in the correct folders.
   I've done one pass at loading my mbox formatted mail into the new
account and it works as slick as can be.  For those that might be
interested two directories are needed/used by Dovecot.  The actual named
"folder" and a hidden version ".folder".  To make them show up
automagically the actual name has to be in the file ".subscriptions".
   Down-ish side is they all show up as new messages but a quick Ctrl-A,
right click, mark all as read and that was fixed.  I haven't gone hot with
the server yet , just testing how things work.

I have one last question that I need enlightenment on.  How do I get ssl
connections working?

I created the SSL certificates ( self signed I think they are called ) and
got them in the ( hopefully ) correct place.  Once or twice I could get
logged in by telling TB to use a ssl connection but got warnings about
certificate and host name missmatch.  I recreated the certificates with
"better" information ( hostname, etc. ) and now get server timeouts.  So I
whimped out and went with plain old IMAP for now.
   This mail server is running in a Linux-Vserver so I'm not sure if the
main server's iptables is causing a problem or it is inside the vserver
that is acting up.

I found a couple of HOWTOs for doing this but they tended to wander away
from what I wanted/needed -- too simple or too complex.  Anyone have a
pointer to a good HOWTO on Dovecot ( or IMAP in general ) SSL connections?

TIA,
Rod