[PLUG] An nfs question -- SOLVED

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 25 18:28:53 UTC 2005

   Problem solved. In part I know why, in part I don't know why.

   On tux I changed /etc/exports to the host.domainname.tld(rw) rather than
Class C IP address(rw). Stopped and restarted nfsd. Checked
/var/lib/nfs/etab and that matched what showmount -e had to offer. Re-ran
exportfs -r and that sync'd /var/lib/nfs/xtab. Of course, rmtab was still
empty because no remote host had mounted any exported filesystem.

   On salmo (as root) I ran 'mount /mnt/usr2' and the same for usr3 and usr4.
No error messages about permissions. Only /mnt/usr2 was actually mounted.
Checked ownership of /mnt and discovered that /usr2 was owned by
rshepard.users and /usr3-4 was owned by root.root. Chown on 3 and 4 and they
are now all mounted.

   SUMMARY: For whatever reason, /etc/exports wants host.domain rather than
IP address. The mounting host wants the mount point to be owned by a user
(or, by root.users, but I didn't check that option as I'm the only one
working on this box).

Thanks -- particulary to Galen -- who taught me a couple of new options and
pointed me to the nfs.sourceforge.net page where the question about
permissions had no apparent relevance but made me experiment until I rolled
7 on the first try.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)