[PLUG] Networking Question

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Jan 25 21:56:49 UTC 2005

William A Morita wrote:

>I do not have a domain setup in my LAN.
>The problem is that when I boot Linux, sendmail and sm-client each hang for
>a considerable time.

First question...

If you don't have a domain setup on your lan, why are you running
sendmail and sm-client?

If you don't need them, then you should shut them off.

>The best I can deduce from the logs is that the system is spinning its
>wheels looking for the domain server.

Yes, spinning wheels..

Trying to determine it's fully qualified domain name (fqdn).

Since you don't have one, it won't be able to find one. Either tell it
to use something you specify in it's config file or turn it off.

>My /etc/hosts starts out:
>127.0.0.1		Goku localhost.localdomain localhost
>
>Is it looking for "localdomain"?

No, the hosts file is one of the places that are used for lookup.
Unfortunately, I believe sendmail doesn't use the /etc/hosts file, so it
won't fine anything there.

Russ