[PLUG] Governor backs plan to aid open source movment

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Wed Jan 26 04:36:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 18:56 -0800, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 18:06 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >    I know that OSU's mail server runs linux/postfix; I see that in the
> > headers of messages I receive. ODOT also runs linux on IBM mainframes
> > (zSeries a.k.a. S/390). But, there's a lot more that can be done with
> > minimal disruption.
>
> AFAIK, most government entities (Federal, State, and Local) in Oregon
> run Exchange for their mail servers.  It costs so much more than Postfix
> it must be better.

Ditto Paul's comments on the dearth of decent Free calendaring.
Comparing Postfix to Exchange is like comparing an F1 engine to a
Trabant. No one here doubts the greatness of the F1 engine or the
badness of the Trabant, but let's be frank, the Trabant will take you
places that sitting on an engine block just can't. [1]

Exchange, so much more than a bad MTA!

We desperately need something that offers delegation, meaning the access
model of WebDAV and Mozilla Calendar doesn't cut it.

On the bright side, there are always projects getting our hopes up.
Here's something interesting from Shuttleworth and friends:

http://www.schooltool.org/schoolbell/

     1. I use postfix and have never touched Exchange, thank the maker.

--
Dan Young <dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us>
Parkrose School District