[PLUG] Mozilla v. Firefox

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jan 26 04:48:23 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 6:58 pm, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 18:42 -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > If you were tasked with selecting a cross-platform Web browser to
standardize
> > on for developing Web apps, would you choose Mozilla or Firefox? Or
something
> > else entirely?  Firefox is all fashionable now, but how do they compare
for
> > developers?
>
> What kind of web apps?  Why would they require a specific browser,
> period, or be coded such that two cousin browsers like Moz/FF couldn't
> both work?

In my experience, and I've probably been hanging out with the wrong crowd, web
app developers target a single browser. (Usually IE. :P)

Every Web browser has its own idiosyncracies, extensions, and quirks, which is
another reason developers like to choose one as their main target, instead of
going insane trying make everything work perfectly in all of them. For
example javascript handling is notoriously non-uniform. Mozilla and Firefox
each support extensions, pretty much the same set, but these don't work in
other browsers.

So another way of asking the question is how do you avoid getting locked-in to
a particular platform? Obviously Aieee is the king of lockin, and migrating
away from it is going to cause pain and expense. Suppose you wake up one fine
day, decide Firefox sucks, and want to move your Web apps to something else-
how painful would it be? Can you really design complex Web applications to be
browser-agnostic?

Carla Schroder
http://www.tuxcomputing.com
check out my new book, the "Linux Cookbook", the ultimate Linux user's
and sysadmin's guide! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail