[PLUG] How do I debug Linux crash

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Wed Jan 26 05:46:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 06:32 +0000, Vincent Yau wrote:
> Hi:
>
> My Linux box crashed twice last week and I could not figure
> out what had happened.  Any tips/pointers much aprpeciated.
> Here is what happened:

[snip]
>   All of a sudden, my screen turns blank,
> the
> CD ejected itself but the CD burning job wasn't finish.  I cannot ssh or
> telnet into the
> box and console screen is blank.  I had to press the reset button.

This is most likely a hardware problem, probably an overheating issue.
Pull the case cover off and check your fans, excessive dirt, etc.  Then
give your users a break and pull the burner.  Setup an old pentium box
to do the burning for you, you can even run it headless with VNC or an
exported X-session.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree