[PLUG] Governor backs plan to aid open source movment

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jan 26 14:40:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Dan Young wrote:

> We desperately need something that offers delegation, meaning the access
> model of WebDAV and Mozilla Calendar doesn't cut it.

Dan,

   You folks in the professional linux community know much better than do I
how to get this need in front of the right people. Now is the time to do so
for three major reasons:

   1.) There is a demonstrable need and the lack of such an application to
run on linux and the *BSDs is a serious hinderance to greater F/OSS adoption
in the private and public sectors.

   2.) OSDL has the official backing of Beaverton and the state to promote
and facilitate such projects in the new, Round incubator.

   3.) Large computer companies, IBM in particular and probably H-P, too,
sell a package of services and this is one that they need in their sales
kit. They may well be willing to fund the development because it removes one
sales objection (a legitimate one, you all tell us).

   There are also a number of under- and un-employed SysAdmin and application
programmers (I count two among my friends; one local one in the mid-west)
who can help make this happen. Rather than wringing hands about the
deficiency in the toolbox, look at this as an opportunity for fun and
profit.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)