[PLUG] Mozilla v. Firefox

Don Buchholz buchholz at easystreet.com
Wed Jan 26 21:28:50 UTC 2005

Carla Schroder wrote:

>Every Web browser has its own idiosyncracies, extensions, and quirks, which is
>another reason developers like to choose one as their main target, instead of
>going insane trying make everything work perfectly in all of them. For
>example javascript handling is notoriously non-uniform. Mozilla and Firefox
>each support extensions, pretty much the same set, but these don't work in
>other browsers.
>
>So another way of asking the question is how do you avoid getting locked-in to
>a particular platform?  <snip>

Well, for simple HTML and CSS, I like to use these validation tools:

   http://validator.w3.org/     and    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Granted these two won't even begin to deal with all the complexities of
dynamic web
pages.  I'm somewhat surprised there aren't more complex (and probably
costly) page
validators available that will do more comprehensive checks.