[PLUG] How do I debug Linux crash

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Wed Jan 26 23:09:14 UTC 2005

Vincent Yau wrote:

> Thanks for all the overheat suggestion.  I will take a look at that
> possibility.
> I would have thought that if the CPU overheated, the box will shutdown.
> In my case, the box is still running, I just could not access it in any
> way.
>
> I was not aware that burner can overheat too.  Will look into that.

Hi Vincent,

When I was referring to drives overheating, I was thinking more of hard
drives. But, if the burner was getting hot it's possible it could effect
the other hardware.

It's also possible the problem is not thermal at all, as others have
mentioned. I've seen various results from CPUs and drives overheating,
including crashes and spontaneous reboots.

Certainly any kind of hardware diagnostics you can run will be good, and
the other suggestions in the thread are very good as well.
Unfortunately, a lot of times with this sort of problem you won't get a
log message that will point a clear finger at what is causing the crash.
Many times it's an issue of checking out a lot of potential problems and
ruling them out one by one.

I would look at moving the burner to another box, though, that was a
very good suggestion of Derek's.