[PLUG] Best motherboard with Linux

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jan 27 01:31:58 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 21:47 -0800, The Bauman Family wrote:
> Hello PLUG:
>
> We're using Linux right now on a Dell machine, and it works fine, but we
> want to get a new AMD 64 computer. We visited Fry's and bought the combo
> Athlon 64 3000+ and Lanparty motherboard, among other things, and we
> asked the people at Fry's whether it would work. They said that they
> didn't know, but they knew Gigabyte motherboards worked and suggested we
> do some research and return it if it wouldn't work. We found no trace of
> a driver for the motherboard's onboard LAN (as the name suggests) and
> sound and also couldn't find anything for the video card we'd purchased.

What lan chipset and what distribution.

> We returned the motherboard, CPU, and video, (the CPU and motherboard
> had to be returned as a combo) and sought help for a motherboard that
> was known to work with Linux. The person we spoke to said it should work
> (it was based on the nVidia 3 chipset or something like that, and he
> used nVidia 2 and Linux worked fine for him). We were skeptical and
> decided to ask you what the best motherboard (and video card, although
> we could always use VESA) for Linux would be that works with AMD 64.

http://www.nvidia.com/ has AMD64 drivers for the nvnet chipset.  You
have to get it from their site.  It is a binary-only driver with an
installer. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_amd64_1.0-0292.html

I have used it on one machine.  Seems to work fairly well.  (It has some
odd error messages due to Win2k sending out bad packets, but it just
drops those.)

--
"If any sign of pleasure is exhibited,
 report to me and it will be prohibited.