[PLUG] Re: FOSS Cal and Sched -- Re: Governor backs plan to aid open source movment

Pete Lancashire nix at petelancashire.com
Thu Jan 27 03:16:12 UTC 2005

I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head.

We, the FOSS community have basically reached critical mass with
technical talent. But what I believe is missing is organization
talent. What I think would be great is a group that is skilled
at getting support i.e. $'s. And that same group or another that
is skilled at not only formulating a team, but keeping that team
together.

If there was such a shop, where I could get paid a decent wage,
health bennies, and an annual Tri-Met ticket :), I would jump
at the opportunity. [Wait, I don't want to be a programmer again,
but they would need a sys admin :) ]

I keep reading about places like software job shops, but
they all seem to be closed project centric.

I would think something like such a organization would work much
better then something owned by one of the biggies.

OSDL is an example for the technical side, but what is needed
is a business side.

It would be a good PSU Business School project to do a business case
class on starting such a company and getting it funded. Hmmm only
if I could afford right now to goto PSU ..

-pete