[PLUG] recording audio from line-in

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Jan 30 21:40:15 UTC 2005

On 30 Jan 2005, Russell Senior writes:
> What software do people use for recording from line-in?

I am experimenting with this right now - copying a audio tape of
my mother's memorial service to CD.

What came with the Redhat 9 on my laptop was "gnome sound recorder"
and "record".  The gnome program was broken as delivered, and I
had to revert to the Redhat 8 version.  It works, but is poorly
thought out.  It records the file as /tmp/untitled.raw, then converts
it as /tmp/untitled.tmp (which you can then rename).  Since raw-format
audio consumes 10MB/minute, a 45 minute cassette side requires 900MB
of storage available in /tmp ... before you save the file where you
really need it.

"record" looks better.  A command line program, it makes a little
ASCII graphic VU meter, which is handy for setting levels.  It looks
like just the sort of thing for driving from a cron script to record
a radio show, for example.

There are probably newer, more capable tools, but a .wav file is
a .wav file.  Next, I learn about building mp3's with "lame".

Keith