[PLUG] recording audio from line-in

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Sun Jan 30 22:11:44 UTC 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 1:40 pm, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> "record" looks better.  A command line program, it makes a little
> ASCII graphic VU meter, which is handy for setting levels.  It looks
> like just the sort of thing for driving from a cron script to record
> a radio show, for example.

I'm pretty sure that gramofile uses record to capture audio. Gramofile adds
post processing with a number of standard filters to reduce noise, such as
what you get from a scratched LP.

> There are probably newer, more capable tools, but a .wav file is
> a .wav file.  Next, I learn about building mp3's with "lame".

IIRC, lame is a front end to bladeenc. I haven't used lame, but I've been
quite happy with bladeenc. It's a simple, command line program, called
thusly:

 bladeenc [global switches] input1 [output1 [switches]] input2 ...

I don't remember what the switches do; all I use is:

 bladeenc INPUT1 OUTPUT1 -br 256000

You can set the sampling rate to what you prefer. Our music collection is
mostly classical, and we weren't happy with the lower rates. On the other
hand, we couldn't tell the difference between 256000 and 3xxxxx (I forget
what CD quality is, but it starts with a 3, and has six digits!). Saves a
little space without noticeable loss of quality.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/