[PLUG] comast++

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sun Jan 30 22:59:49 UTC 2005

Charlie Schluting wrote:

> I felt the need to share this with the list, for some reason :)
>
> Rumor said that comcast upgraded residential customers to 4 Mb/s
> download speed last weds. This is true. On friday night I power cycled
> my "modem" and after it came back, I was getting 4 Mb/s (about 500KB/s).
> Current speed: 4.0 Mb/384 Kb
>
> Rumor also said that I could upgrade to 6.0 Mb/768 Kb! This costs $10
> more/month. I called them, and in less than 10 minutes that cablem
> modem rebooted, and I was downloading at 6 Mb/s. Amazing. That's 2x
> the speed I had early friday (up and down) for $10 more :-D
>
> Some people don't like cable, and have delusions of speeds varying
> based on congestion. I can assure you, this never happens to most
> people. Every time I download something from my server at PSU I'm
> always getting the full speed. And about 19ms latency between home <->
> PSU! And, I've had the same IP address for over a year now, btw.
>
> Good stuff.
> If you have cable tv already, you get a discount of $10 (total: $45/mo).
> Add $10 for amazing speeds, and you're back at $55/mo. I believe this
> is comcast's response to verizon(?) upgrading to 3 Mb/s.
> Good job, comcast!

I got an email from Comcast yesterday announcing this. I powercycled the
modem. I've only been able to get 3.5 Mbits/sec down in
Azureus/Bittorrent, though. I haven't tried anything else, though. And I
think the 384K up is a speed increase too; I think I was getting 256K up
in Azureus/Bittorrent before.

I think I'll pay the extra ten bucks for six :) I'll pass on the TV though.

Verizon's upgrade to 3 MB/s was *their* response to Comcast's 3 MB/s. :)
Of course the reason I went with Comcast in the first place is that the
Verizon line to my house was too old for DSL. :)