[PLUG] mutt configuration question

plug at merlot.com plug at merlot.com
Mon Jan 31 17:00:10 UTC 2005

I use mutt (version 1.5.6+20040907i). I love mutt. It does what I want
it to do. Almost.

I have been told that a send-hook or folder-hook can be used to set my
outgoing ('From ') address based on who I'm sending to or which folder
I'm in. What I'm doing doesn't work for me.

  send-hook "~t plug at lists\.pdxlinux\.org" my_hdr "From: Kurt Sussman <plug at merlot.com>"
  send-hook "~t plug at lists\.pdxlinux\.org" my_hdr "Sender: Kurt Sussman <plug at merlot.com>"

The result of these two send-hooks is the wrong 'From' address on almost
all outgoing email, as if most email is seen by mutt as going to
'plug at lists.pdxlinux.org'. I have not yet found a pattern that will
allow me to predict when the address will be set incorrectly.

I've also tried this:

  folder-hook =plug$ my_hdr "From: Kurt Sussman <plug at merlot.com>"
  folder-hook =plug$ my_hdr "Sender: Kurt Sussman <plug at merlot.com>"

and this

  folder-hook plug my_hdr "From: Kurt Sussman <plug at merlot.com>"
  folder-hook plug my_hdr "Sender: Kurt Sussman <plug at merlot.com>"

with the same results.

There's also a setting that is supposed to use the 'To' address in the
message I'm replying to as the 'From' address of the reply. That almost
never works. I see no pattern there either.

Any ideas?

TIA

--Kurt