[PLUG] recording audio from line-in

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Mon Jan 31 22:20:42 UTC 2005

Quoth M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, on Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:20:19 -0800:

> jack audio connection kit and the 2.6.10 kernel, for starters. Do a
> Google search for "Dave Phillips Linux Audio" and enjoy the feast!! :)

Working with audio in Linux is not for the feint of heart.  Jack is only
needed for demanding applications:  those needing low latency and
synchronization with other audio app's.  Otherwise, I'd skip jack and
just use alsa.

I'm trying to put together something myself, and I've got rosegarden
working with jack/alsa.  I'm even running a preemptible 2.6 kernel with
the realtime patch, so that I can run 'jackd -R' as a normal user.  MIDI
is working too, but I still can't record audio!  I have an SBLive
Platinum, and jack won't let me connect the 1/4" mic' input (the one on
the LiveDrive) to rosegarden.

This stuff is tricky, and jack makes it trickier; so just be sure you
really need jack.

--Jason

--
Jesus is coming!  Look busy.