[PLUG] iPod with Linux?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 00:47:16 UTC 2005

On 2 Jul 2005, at 14:25, Carlos Konstanski wrote:

> If you dig deep into the OSX Middleware thread, you'll find a patch
> for teh HFS+ friver in the 2.6 kernel.  That would allow you to keep
> the HFS+ filesystem when using linux.  It disables the disk checking
> mount count, basically.

OK, I launched Synaptic and searched on "HFS." That got me nine
possibilities to install. Some were clearly the wrong thing, but one
(hfsplus) was described as "tools to access HFS+ formatted
volumes." I marked it for installation, which prompted Synaptic to
add libhfsp0, described as "shared library to access HFS+
formatted volumes." Unfortunately, after installing them I still can't
write to the iPod.

However, I did just discover that I can read and copy from it. I never
tried that before, so I don't know if the tools I just installed made it
possible. All I know is that I copied the three folders (Contacts,
Calendars, iPod_Control and Notes) into my /home directory.
Nevertheless, there are three files listed (.Trashes, ,Journal and
.jpurnal_info_block) that I cannot copy. All three have an X in the
file icon. When I try to copy them I get the "permissions" error
message.

Actually, I don't give a rat's patootie if the iPod retains HFS or is
converted to FAT32. I just want something I can read and write to,
and I don't want to destroy the system Apple installed to enable
me to play the tracks from the menu.

> You sure Windows saves the mp3 files off, then reformats, then puts
> the files back on?  I thought it simply overwrote the ipod with a
> FAT32 filesystem and then wrote the os image anew.  How can Windows
> read the files without understanding the filesystem?  That's what I'd
> like to know.

Maybe Windows doesn't understand it, but iTunes does. I have no
idea what I'm talking about. You're probably right. More likely
iTunes installs the correct files on the Windows computer, formats
the iPod as FAT32 -- wiping everything out -- then transfers the files
to it.

> You cannot use ogg files, as was mentioned.  You must use mp3 files
> that have the proper id3 tags.  The ipod will not use the actual
> filenames. It will only use the info in the id3 tags.

Somewhere I know I read that one of these utilities (gtkpod, I think)
converts the ogg files to mp3s as it transfers them to the iPod.

But perhaps that is not correct. I put the Stravinksy CD back in the
drive and decided to re-rip it. This time I went into Config in grip and
found a number of options --

bladeenc
lame
l3enc
xingmp3enc
gogo
oggenc
flac
other

It was set on oggenc, so I switched it to mp3encode. When I did
the "encode file extension" box changed from ogg to mp3. "Cool," I
thought, and proceeded to start the rip process. But when I tried to
start it I got an error message "invalid encoder executable, Check
your encoder config." Looking at the encoder config there are a
bazillion settings that can be changed. And I don't know what any
of them mean. :(

So for the moment I'm stymied. Wish grip had a help file to explain
the settings.