[PLUG] iPod with Linux?

Carlos Konstanski ckonstan at lunarlogic.com
Sun Jul 3 02:49:54 UTC 2005

There's one more variable to this equation.  The kernel needs support
for the filesystem.  Userland programs are not enough.  You may want to
fire up "make menuconfig" and browse your kernel's filesystem settings.
If HFS+ is there, but compiled as a module, you'll need to modprobe it
or add it to /etc/modules.

But I really think it's best to just use FAT32 for simplicity's sake.
You won't lose the ipod OS if you follow the instructions in this
writeup:

http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html

There's a step where you dd the OS into a file, and then dd it back
after the reformat.  Scary, but it works fine.

Carlos