[PLUG] iPod with Linux?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Jul 3 03:14:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, John Jordan wrote:
> Making progress!

Yeah, sounds pretty good!

> So finally, with the 25 tracks as mp3s in the gtkpod list I fumbled
> around trying to figure out how to add them to the iPod. I'm pretty sure
> the button is the one that says "Sync."

Yep.

> But that's as far as I got. When I clicked on Sync I got an error
> message -- "iPod directory structure must be present before synching to
> the iPod can be performed."
>
> So I guess that means it can't write to the HFS+ file system.

Nope!  There's actually a menu option under "File" in gtkpod to create the
directory structure gtkpod uses.  Just do that!

> From what I gather I can fix that problem if I load iTunes on my Windows
> 2000 computer and plug the iPod into it.

You don't need all of iTunes, just the ipod updater.  It's available as a
standalone and should be installed that way to ensure you're getting the
latest firmware for your ipod.

> But I really don't want to do that if I can find a pure Linux way of
> doing it. So for my next adventure I'm off to google for Linux-based
> HFS+ to FAT32 filesystem conversion utilities.

Um, no.  Part of the ipod software is on the filesystem and part is in
firmware.  If you go the hand-conversion route, you could seriously fuck
things up.

I think it's already VFAT.  Check that first.  If not, use the ipod
updater on Windows.

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin