[PLUG] iPod with Linux?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 03:57:19 UTC 2005

On 2 Jul 2005, at 20:14, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> > So I guess that means it can't write to the HFS+ file system.
>
> Nope!  There's actually a menu option under "File" in gtkpod to create
> the directory structure gtkpod uses.  Just do that!

I just tried that. Error message: "Problem creating iPod directories
in /media/iPod/."

>From what I read on the site Carlos just sent me to, I should
already have support for HFS+. My kernel is 2.6.10-5.

So now I'm wondering if that "you don't have permission" error
message was for real, not just a generic message for a write
failure. I am logged in as jjj, not as root.

I just tried to chmod the iPod, but I have forgotten the chmod
syntax. I tried sudo chmod *.* jjj. Wrong, eh? Hey, when you're a
beginner you have to guess a lot! :(

I also just tried "modprobe hfsplus." It seemed to take -- no error
messages, anyway. But still can't write to the iPod.

> You don't need all of iTunes, just the ipod updater.  It's available
> as a standalone and should be installed that way to ensure you're
> getting the latest firmware for your ipod.
>
> > But I really don't want to do that if I can find a pure Linux way of
> > doing it. So for my next adventure I'm off to google for Linux-based
> > HFS+ to FAT32 filesystem conversion utilities.
>
> Um, no.  Part of the ipod software is on the filesystem and part is in
> firmware.  If you go the hand-conversion route, you could seriously
> fuck things up.
>
> I think it's already VFAT.  Check that first.  If not, use the ipod
> updater on Windows.

I'm pretty sure it's not FAT32. I think I read that current iPods all
ship with HFS+ and when the user first plugs it into a Windows
computer, iTunes sees it and immediately converts it to FAT32.
This makes sense, considering that the Apple documentation
stresses emphatically that you must install the iTunes software
BEFORE you first plug it into a Windows computer. Since it has
never been plugged into a Windows computer and the iTunes CD is
still in it's sealed sleeve, it must be still HFS+.

OK, I just determined that it's mounted. It's at /media/iPod/. How
do I determine for sure what filesystem it has? I tried "fsck iPod,"
but just got a list of fsck options. Another thing I didn't do right. :(