[PLUG] iPod with Linux?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 04:49:49 UTC 2005

On 3 Jul 2005, at 21:07, AthlonRob wrote:

> > Jul  3 20:38:52 localhost kernel: HFS-fs: Filesystem is marked
> > locked, mounting read-only.
> <snip>
> > /dev/sda3	/media/iPod	auto	rw,user,noauto	0  0
>
> Does the "hfsplus" driver usually call itself HFS-fs in the kernel?  I
> wonder if you have another driver only capable of read-only that's
> taking precidence.

I don't know. Seems to me I've seen it listed as "hfsplus" a lot, but I
don't know if that was in wikis, how-tos, text files, man pages, or
where. :(

Is there a way to find out what drivers are loaded? I tried modprobe -
-help, but --help isn't an option for modprobe. Modprobe is the only
command I have learned.

> Unmount the thing.  Modify your fstab line to specify the filesystem
> where you say "auto".  Then re-mount the thing.

OK, I tried several things here. First, I changed the "auto" to
hfsplus. That didn't work. Then I tried hfs+. Still got errors about
wrong filesystem. Then I tried just hfs. That worked. However, still
can't write to the iPod.

I did tail -f /var/log/messages, then unmounted, unplugged, and
plugged it back in. The messages were identical to what I sent
earlier, that is, the last line still says "localhost kernel: HFS-fs:
Filesystem is marked locked, mounting read only."