[PLUG] iPod with Linux?

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 16:16:34 UTC 2005

On 7/4/05, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> While googling I found a page that said that gtkpod would read the
> files on the iPod if you click on the Read button. Not sure I tried
> that before. I did just now, with the iPod mounted. It said:
>
> /media/iPod/iPod_Contol/iTunes/iTunesDB does not exist. Import
> aborted.

This *really* sounds like you have the wrong partition mounted.
Before blowing everything away, you may want to try sda1 and 2 first..
(apologies if you already have, I missed out on a section of this
thread).

FWIW, HFS is also agnostic to case.  It will maintain upper case
characters, but it dosen't consider iPod to be different from ipod.
Now, /media/iPod *is* different from /media/ipod, as you correctly
assumed (because it is the mount point, it is on your linux
filesystem, not the iPod's file system).

> So now I need to figure out if Linux can format the iPod as FAT32.
> (I still don't want to install any part of iTunes on my Windows
> computer, if I can avoid it.)

When I was working with my iPod, I found a tool that did exactly this
(I don't recall the name, though :( ).  I don't think you want to try
and do it manually so to speak, with standard formatting tools.  Your
iPod apparently has a non-trivial partitioning scheme, and changing
the wrong partition could be very difficult to undo.

Good luck, and good job.

--Rogan