[PLUG] iPod with Linux?

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Mon Jul 4 23:08:15 UTC 2005

John Jordan wrote:
> Good idea. I am pretty darn sure it is sda3, because all the wikis
> and how-tos say that Apple puts three partitions on it, and the one
> the tunes go on is sda3. But I tried sda2 and sda1, and neither
> would mount. To do it I duplicated the line in fstab twice, and then
> just changed them to 2 and 1, and resaved fstab. The commands I
> gave were "mount /dev/sda2" and "-1. I also duplicated it with
> hpmount, but still no joy.

Try sda0 and sda4, as well, for me.  :-)

(or fdisk it and see what paritions are there)

> The totally weird thing is that Linux sees only five files/directories
> (and says it doesn't know what they are) -- "Desktop DB,"
> "Desktop DF," "Finder," "Readme" and "System." It's supposed to
> see folders like "iPod_Control," etc. Yet while that is what Linux
> sees, when I look at the iPod's display and use the wheel thing, it
> shows exactly the menu choices that it did before I lost the folders.

Which makes me wonder if you're on the wrong partition.

> I'll google on Linux +FAT32 and see what I can turn up.

Somebody posted an iPod link earlier in this thread explaining how to
convert your iPod from HFS+ to FAT32 under Linux.  It's not as simple as
just formatting it FAT32... you have to deal with the software on the
iPod itself, remember.

Rob