[PLUG] iPod with Linux?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 16:53:57 UTC 2005

On 5 Jul 2005, at 1:00, Derek Loree wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 19:31 -0700, John Jordan wrote:
> [snip]
> > As a further possibility, maybe when I ripped the CD with grip the
> > other day I screwed up that process. They may say they are mp3s,
> > but are they really?
>
> I think you're on to something here.  Easy enough to verify, all you
> have to do is play a track or two while they are still on the laptop.

Why didn't I think of that? Sometimes you can't see the obvious!

Anyway, I only copied them to the iPod, so they're all still on the computer
as well, so I just tried it. Every single one of the 25 tracks plays the first
couple bars and quits. The default for mp3s is Totem, which crashes if I
immediately retry the same mp3. Otherwise it just disappears after the first
couple of bars. Tried Music Player too, which also plays just the first
couple bars and then disappears.

So now back to grip. I made those 25 tracks with lame. Lots of other
choices to try.

Thanks for waking me up. :)