[PLUG] NFS Question

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jul 6 18:26:10 UTC 2005

On 7/6/05 11:10 AM, David Mandel wrote:
> I haven't been using nfs is quite some time, and Linux/nfs has improved
> significantly (At least, people say it has.).
>
> In any case, what parameters should I use on the server side to get
> optimal performance without losing data.  At the moment, the only thing
> I'm doing is to use:
>
> /home/            server01.DavidMandel.com(rw,setuid,no_root_squash)

I think the "sync" option is now the default, but you may want to make
it explicit to avoid server-side warning messages.

> in /etc/exports on the server and
>
> server01.DavidMandel.com:/home /home nfs
>                    rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,intr,bg,tcp

The NFS maintainers recommend against the "soft" option since it can
result in invisible data corruption. See section 4.3.1 of the NFS HOW-TO:

* http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/client.html

Since you're using TCP (ergo NFS v3 or higher) for transport, you
probably don't need to specify rsize and wsize; the server will specify
the default block size. I think the default for NFS over TCP is 32K
blocks, but that may have changed of late.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com