[PLUG] Re: SOLVED: TCP connect() times out

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Sun Jul 10 15:10:51 UTC 2005

The problem seems to have been that tcp congestion notification
(net.ipv4.tcp_ecn) had been turned on, which doesn't work and play
well with my internet connection. Turning it off got things working
again.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that /etc/sysctl.conf was tweaked
when I updated the Gentoo sys-apps/baselayout package back on June 10.
When I rebooted the machine yesterday morning, it got a new ECN
setting, which hosed things.

Well, that blew a few hours of my time. Feh. :-)

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>