[PLUG] SOLVED: TCP connect() times out

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sun Jul 10 21:18:03 UTC 2005

>From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>
> The problem seems to have been that tcp congestion notification
> (net.ipv4.tcp_ecn) had been turned on, which doesn't work and play
> well with my internet connection. Turning it off got things working
> again.

Then you might want to spend the $.05 and get a decent ISP. At worst ECN
should be ignored by decently run networks, only on badly run networks do
such packets get dropped. This could also be an oversight on the part of
the ISP, and education might help things.

> My guess (and it's only a guess) is that /etc/sysctl.conf was tweaked
> when I updated the Gentoo sys-apps/baselayout package back on June 10.
> When I rebooted the machine yesterday morning, it got a new ECN
> setting, which hosed things.

If you got a new kernel during this period, then it could be the newer
kernel defaults to ECN being on.