[PLUG] Python Guru Here?

Ali Corbin ali.corbin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:44:13 UTC 2005

On 7/12/05, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    I'm working on my first python program and am having difficulties getting
> it to run from the command line, despite all my reading. Just cannot see
> where I've gone off the tracks. I'd appreciate someone who knows python well
> assisting me off the list so I can get past this hurdle.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> --

I'm not sure what you've already tried, so some of the following might
be redundant:

Is python installed and in the path?  (ie, type 'python' and see what it says)

If so, you should be able to type 'python yourscript' to run it.

Another way is to see exactly where the python executable is by typing
'which python' and adding a magic comment to the top of your script of
the form:

#!/usr/bin/python

Then, assuming that the script itself is executable, you can simply cd
to the script's directory and type './yourscript'

Ali