[PLUG] Laptop brand recommendations

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jul 12 18:06:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Evan Heidtmann wrote:

> I am mainly looking for recommendations on manufacturers or specific lines
> of machines. Where can I find reliable, well-built machines with reasonable
> performance?
>
> If you can only say which brands to avoid, that's helpful as well.

Evan,

   The linux-on-laptops web site is a great resource.

   I've had very positive experiences with a couple of Toshiba notebooks, my
current Sony Vaio, and the IBM ThinkPad. The latter seems to be a consensus
pick as a solid box on which to run linux. It's a bit heavier than others,
however. But, you're young and strong so that's not an issue. :-)

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President      | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)  | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"