[PLUG] Off To Canada Potluck

Ron Braithwaite ron at braithwaites.net
Wed Jul 13 05:06:47 UTC 2005

Sorry if you are getting multiple copies of this, but this email is
going out to about 450 people on 4 continents and about 15 countries,
plus about 50 different email lists I'm on. For those not local to
Portland, this is a change of address notice and for EVERYBODY, it is a
request to you to help me update my address book.

So, *before* anything else, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE send me your current
name, email address, physical address (including postal code), and
phone. Please do not assume that I have them or that what I have is
correct. Please do it now before you even read any further!

***

Off To Canada Potluck
Sunday, July 31, 2005 12noon to 6pm
Creston Park, Group Site A, Portland, OR

Directions at:
http://www.parks.ci.portland.or.us/Parks/Creston.htm

This is a potluck, so bring food, soft drinks, and beer (optional) to share.

ALSO, please bring your acoustic musical instruments - we can't have
amplifiers, but we can make lots of noise. I'll have my musical saw(s)
and will want to play with any erstwhile victims. There is seating for
250 people at our site, so there's room for everybody!

***

So, now that you have responded with your contact info, here's our new info:

Ron, Elizabeth, & David Braithwaite
2778 East 6th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5M 1R5 Canada
604-215-7859 (not live until 7/27)
ron at braithwaites.net
eliz at braithwaites.net
david at braithwaites.net

As you may or may not have heard, we (Elizabeth, David, and myself) are
moving to Vancouver, BC Canada at the end of this month - right after
this party!

That's right. We're leaving the country for a few years and this is your
last chance to see us except when we're visiting Portland (which we hope
to do frequently) or if you come up to visit us. Our new house has an
apartment in the basement, so we welcome house guests after we're
settled - just call and be prepared to share if others show up at the
same time.

So what about each of us?

David will be starting the 9th grade at VanTech (Vancouver Technical
Secondary School), which is sort of like Portland's Lincoln & Benson
Tech combined into one. He's really excited about attending the high
school that is featured in so many movies and TV series (e.g., Smallville).

Elizabeth is going to continue working for ESHA Research, just
telecommuting instead of working on-site. She really loves her job and
is glad to be able to continue working at ESHA.

I'm working on CareWheels Canada, which is incredibly exciting.

Basically, what CareWheels does is hire people with disabilities to
"watch over" frail Elders (and others) who want to safely live in their
homes instead of moving to assisted living facilities. We put about 5
motion detectors into the Elder's home to detect their movements
associated with their Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). So if they
don't get out of bed by 10am, when they are normally up by 8am, or if
they go into the washroom and don't come out for 2 hours, the AI
(Bayesian Inference) software tells their Telecare Provider there might
be something wrong. That person then tries to contact them to see if
they are OK and, if they can't reach them, contacts their designated
caregiver. In addition, the Telecare Provider will call each of their
Elders every day, just to make contact and give them an opportunity to
talk to someone if they are lonely.

There is more to it than that, but if you want to know more, you'll have
to come to the party and ask me directly.

At any rate, this email is going all over the world to every continent
(except Antarctica - I used to know someone at South Pole Station, but
he recovered from his craziness and got a "normal" job).

So that means you might not be able to make the party. That's OK. BUT
SEND ME YOUR CONTACT INFO ANYWAY!!!!

Hope to see you at the party or up in Vancouver, BC!

Bright Blessings of Peace,
-Ron

Ron Braithwaite			ron at braithwaites.net
2778 E 6th Ave			228-4110 SE Hawthorne Blvd,
Vancouver, BC V5M1R5 Canada	Portland, OR 97214 USA
1-604-215-7849			1-503-267-3250