[PLUG] Hello from Maryland, Speakers Bureau

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jul 14 02:41:05 UTC 2005

I'm visiting my wife's family near Baltimore.  I noticed that the
Columbia area Linux Users Group was meeting, and that they did not
have a speaker.  So I volunteered, and gave my Dirvish talk.  It was
well received, about 20 people in attendance.

A lot of LUG's find themselves without speakers, but I bet that there
are many of us with prepared talks scattered around the country; with
OSDL in the area, we probably get speakers visiting from all over.
If we could connect potential visiting speakers with PLUG, I bet we
could make Dave's and Allan's job a lot easier, and our meetings more
interesting.

Perhaps there is somebody who can set up a "Linux Speaker's Bureau".
User groups that host speakers could put their meeting times and
planned schedules up, while potential speakers (dozens from PLUG
alone) could check their travel plans against the open slots and
volunteer if they wish.  It would be a good way for the speakers to
connect up with the locals and learn about Cool Stuff in the area.

Any interest?

Keith