[PLUG] Laptop brand recommendations

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu Jul 14 05:12:47 UTC 2005

Evan Heidtmann <clydefrog at adnap.no-ip.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 19:22 -0700, Galen Seitz wrote:
> > Newegg sells some of the Thinkpad models.
> >
> > IBM T42 Pentium M 735(1.7GHz) 15.0" 512MB 60GB DVD/CD-RW Combo ATI
> > Mobility RADEON 9600 NoteBook - Retail   $1800
>
> I saw that, but I'll probably still go straight through IBM. The price
> difference comes out to around $200 for comparable machines, but if I
> buy it from IBM I know they can't duck out of the warranty by saying "we
> don't support models bought from retail vendors" or "newegg did that to
> your machine, we don't cover it".
>
> I will go to newegg (or some other retailer) for the memory. A 1GB stick
> is $440 from IBM and $104 from newegg (in the small SO-DIMM size).

Be sure to check out IBM's "Featured" thinkpads.  The prices are quite
good.

http://www-131.ibm.com/content/home/store_LNV_PublicUSA/en_US/featuredproduct.html

I wanted to buy the featured X40, so I called IBM.  The lead time was
3 to 4 weeks, so the salesperson said he could drop the price even further.
If I hadn't been in a hurry (I'm traveling soon), I would have jumped at it.
When I told him I needed it right away, he suggested I search the web
for IBM resellers.  That's why I ended purchasing from newegg.

galen