[PLUG] Re: Off To Canada, Redux

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Jul 14 05:31:40 UTC 2005

Jason wrote:

>The last time I crossed into Canada, they only asked for a driver's
>license to look me up on their computer systems.  Crossing back in the
>US, they only asked for a driver's license to look me up on their
>computer system.  Granted, this was before the whole 9-11 incident and
>they are prone to be more anal these days at the border.

March of this year, a DL was not "good enough". We had our drivers
licenses (all four adults) in a non-descript Chevrolet Cavalier with
plain Oregon plates. All four adults are related, and live at two
different Oregon addresses. Nothing that should have been a red flag.

Yet we spent nearly an hour at the immigration office at the border
because we did not have proof of citizenship.

Coming back into the US was actually easier than leaving, although, the
first question our of the US border guards mouth after looking at our
ODLs was, "And do you have proof of citizenship?"

>Officially, I am sure, you will need proof of US Citizenship.  Which, in
>our country, is either a passport or birth certificate.  And if you ask
>the official channels, you will be told this.

We asked prior to making our plans. We were told to bring "ID". We were
not told to bring proof of citizenship. To me, my DL *IS* ID. I had no
reason to think otherwise.

I happen to have birth certificates for all four adults, since two are
my kids, and the other adult is their mother. As I said we're all related.

>  And I am sure the border
>guards could detain you if you fail to provide this documentation.  But
>would you actually be detained if you only had a driver license?  I
>would think probably not.

Wrong. We were told to go to Immigration. The woman at immigration told
us that if any of us had criminal convictions, we would be denied entry
and escorted back across the border and placed in custody. The US border
guards would then process us to determine if we were to be detained by
US officials.

This is what the border offical told us, and I have no reason to doubt
what she said. She did produce a sheet of paper with every traffic
violation I had committed since I was 16. This at least proved that I'd
been in the US for a while...

>Coincidentally, Oregon is one of the few states that do not require you
>to submit or show a valid US Birth Certificate or other documentation of
>legal US residency to get a driver's license.  But I hear this may
>change in the future, as the Patriot Act and its supporters apply
>pressure.

It's already changing. The Oregon congress is hearing arguments and may
change that law by the end of this session. I have no idea what this
will require of present license holders. If they grandfather in present
license holders, then the requirement is pretty bogus.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #13 (Collect all 25)
"I'm not smart enough to lie." - Ronald Reagan