[PLUG] Kernel panic. Need help!!!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jul 19 15:44:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> If the HD isn't totally hosed, you might try to fit the machine out with a
> new HD, load your distro, then try to mount the old HD on another IDE
> channel(?) and copy off what you need.

Dick, et al.:

   If the drive's flaky, it may not withstand another boot. My inclination
would be to format and partition a new drive in another machine, install
whatever distribution was desired, then network the two boxes (even if the
second one is borrowed just for the occasion) and copy across what's desired
to be saved. Then the current machine can be shut down, the hard drives
swapped, and the system rebooted.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President      | Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)  | Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"